Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Statement about my Alice in Wonderland book

"Lewis Carroll, real name, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, wrote and illustrated the first version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in 1865 for a family friend's young daughter. At that time, opium was a very popular drug and was widely available. With the design of this version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, I wanted to capture the spontaneity and energy of a book that was penned by hand, by an author that may or may not have been on drugs. My illustrations are zany and wild, full of energy to reflect the Carroll's imaginative scenes and mad characters. The text is crooked, and disorderly to further this idea. The whole concept behind my design is that the author picked up this blank book with crow quill pen and ink bottle in hand and in one golden afternoon, spewed out this classic in children's literature."

-John Christian Perkins

Hopefully that works... email me if anyone needs anything else from me, I don't really check this blog much though I should. johnchristianperkins@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment